Sunday, October 03, 2010

Tom Wesley, Republican Candidate - MA Hampden 2nd District, Running Against Incumbent, Richard Neal (D) – Candidate Profile and Q & A – 2010 Mid-Term

On Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010 voters will go to the polls across the United States and choose individuals to represent them in both State and Federal positions. In the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, there are 10 U.S. Congressional Races; the outcome of each District race will define the make-up of the 112th Congress and the course of the nation. The Congress is especially important due to the fact that members draft legislation, and work in tandem with the U.S. Senate in order to make the laws which impact U.S. Citizens daily lives. The Congress also has the power over the governments’ purse strings, giving members of Congress the ability to fund programs and appropriate tax payers dollars in order to run the government. In other words, the individual members of Congress, collectively in one body, have more power than the U.S. President when it comes to the laws of our nation. Therefore, Decisions on which candidate to choose should be made on an individual basis, with time taken to learn about the candidates prior to casting a vote. To that end, this blog is presenting “Candidate Profiles”, which are in a Q&A format. Questions were only changed to reflect the candidate’s political party and current status (incumbent or challenger). The balance was not edited to reflect the views of this blog and remains unabridged. Hopefully, this will allow readers to get to know the candidate a bit more, both on a personal level as well as how they perceive the important issues facing the nation as well as the Congressional District.

Tom Wesley Candidate Profile



Tom Wesley, Candidate for U.S. Congress, MA 2nd District - image Wales GOP

Brief biography

I am a graduate of the US Merchant Marine Academy, received my BS degree and US Coast Guard license as a Third Mate of Vessels of Any Gross Tons, Upon Oceans. I was able to sail any ship, anywhere in the world. Instead, I went on active duty in the US Navy and earned my wings as a Naval Aviator. I flew helicopters in the Cold War during the Reagan years and served with distinction in operations in the Pacific, including operations involving search and salvage of the Korean Airline Flight 007 shoot down. I later served in the Pentagon with the Organization of the Joint Chiefs of Staff as part of a prestigious internship program. I was one of only two junior naval officers on the staff.

My business career began in aerospace and defense industries with large corporations in sales and marketing positions of progressive responsibility. These positions allowed me to expand my global travel credentials. I did venture into entrepreneurial pursuits involving aerospace exports and eventually into consumer imports. The venture ultimately failed due to market forces and noncollectable debt.

I returned to corporate life and ultimately got involved in the Life Science industry where I actually ran factories, built products in this country and developed an understanding of the global factors that create an environment ripe for outsourcing. I am currently Director of Strategic Planning and Corporate Sustainability for a large multi-national corporation in Milford, MA.

Always active in my community, I have been involved in my church, serving as moderator and chairman of various boards and committees, and in Boy Scouts, where I am the current Scoutmaster of my troop in Hopedale.

Q. As a conservative – can you define what you feel conservatism means to you?

A. American Conservatism is a byproduct of American individualism and American exceptionalism. Its roots derive from the Western entrepreneurial spirit of adventure, high risk and high reward. It is the essence of the American Dream where anything is possible for those who are committed to success.


Q. When did you first discover you were a conservative (Republican)?

A. Actually, I first voted for Jimmy Carter and then had the experience of serving under him as Commander-in-Chief. I became a conservative-minded person when Ronald Reagan became my Commander-in-Chief.

Q. Are you originally from Massachusetts? If so, where in Mass? If you lived elsewhere, why did you choose the 2nd district to make your home?

A.
I was born in Brooklyn, NY, as a second-generation Polish immigrant. Uncle Sam made sure that I had lots of addresses during my career. I have lived in Florida, Maine, California, Hawaii and DC during my Navy years. Business took me to New Hampshire, Connecticut and Massachusetts. My wife and I enjoyed the atmosphere of the small town of Hopedale, its proximity to my workplace and the quality of the education available to my children.

Q. You’re married and have children, (grown?) – do you feel that the 2nd district is the best place to raise a family and why?

A.
I have two grown daughters, 26 and 24, who have been unable to sustain employment in Massachusetts and are staking their claims out of state, and a 17 year old that is a senior in Hopedale HS. I do hope that we can restore the second district as a place where our children can settle down and raise their families.

Q. Why did you decide to run, what made you feel you wanted to give up your time to run for public office?

A.
I took an oath of office, not once but twice, to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic. I have never been an elected official but have been a public servant all my life. I view this task as my patriotic duty to our generation and the next and for the unborn generations of Americans yet to come.

Q. As you are aware, Scott Brown did win the district, but lost Springfield and Northampton at the time. How do you feel you relate to both independents and democrats while still maintaining your conservative principles?

A. It is not possible to win every heart and mind or to win every vote. What I tell people who will not vote for me is that I will be their Congressman, too. We may not always agree on the issues but I will always tell you where I stand. And when it comes to services, all of my constituents will be treated with equality and respect.


Issues:


Q. What do you feel are the three most important issues facing American’s today? List
A.
1. Economy
2. Immigration
3. Healthcare Reform

Q. What do you feel are the three most important issues facing the 2nd district? List

A.

The issues are the same as at the national level. They touch us in the pocketbook and in the heart. They have the potential to derail the American Dream and undermine the future of our children.

We must also ensure that our schools are producing quality graduates who are ready to work in a modern economy with the necessary skill sets that our innovative economy requires.

Q. Are there any other issues you feel are of import?
What are your personal solutions to solving the problems (choose two) that you feel are a priority for the 2nd district?

A. The economy must be our first priority. We must get people working once again. Jobs go offshore because of government greed in taxation. The US has the highest tax rate in the world. It forces companies to offshore havens. We must work towards halving that rate and look to level the playing field against unfair foreign competition. We must also seek to ensure that government regulation does not unnecessarily burden our businesses as they compete internationally.

The issue of immigration, both legal and illegal, must be addressed very quickly in the 112th Congress. Until we can stop the flow of people across our border who have no authority or right to be here, we cannot distinguish between those who mean us no harm from those who do. Those who do bring drugs, violence, human trafficking, and the threat of terrorism against our way of life. It is an imperative that we seal the border in order to control entry to this country. On the legal front, we must pursue a comprehensive overhaul of regulations and policies in order that those who come here on short term visas cannot overstay their welcome; those who wish to stay can be fairly evaluated; and, those who wish to enter are fairly treated.

Q. If you are elected to represent the Massachusetts 2nd Hampden Congressional District, what would you author as your first piece of legislation and why.

A.Unless the 111th Congress acts to rescind the upcoming tax hikes, this may be the first legislation required. Our economy is too fragile to absorb such an increase.

Q. Do you feel pork is important to the district? (If yes, or no, explain.)

A. Pork contains fat. We have enough worthy projects in this nation that we should not be measured by how many dollars one can bring back to the district to fund abstract ideas or white elephants. I think this district is capable of competing for resources on the merit of the project alone. And I would admonish my colleagues to do the same.

Q. I’m a 2nd district voter - you just knocked on my door – introduce yourself and tell me why you should get my vote.

A.Hello, my name is Tom Wesley, a Navy veteran, a first time candidate and career citizen, just like you. I am not running against the 22-year incumbent career politician, Richard Neal, as much as I am running for my vision of America in the 21st century. It is a vision that foresees an era of American leadership in political, economic and moral arenas. It is a vision that protects the American dream for you, your children and the unborn generations of Americans yet to come. I run because I am your neighbor: not because I live next door to you but because I value the things that you do. This is our Congress and we must fight to regain our voice in Washington. And this is our time. Too much is at stake for us not to take this election very seriously. I ask you for your vote so that we can begin the process of moving this country forward once again.

To learn more about Tom Wesley visit: www.tomwesley.com

To learn more about Richard Neal (MA-D) visit www.nealforcongress.com

In summery, remember, every vote counts, therefore, get out and vote on Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010. Many a race, even for Federal office, has been determined by a handful of votes. Often there are questions on the ballots which allow citizens to choose to fund a certain local project, or to actively participate in a state law, such as a reduction of the Massachusetts State income tax. Therefore, if one feels strongly about a particular issue or candidate the only way to positively effect change is to get out and vote, regardless of party. There is an old adage, and regardless of the outcome of any given race or ballot question, if one does not vote, one cannot complain.

No comments:


Amazon Picks

Massachusetts Conservative Feminist - Degrees of Moderation and Sanity Headline Animator

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Contact Me:

Your Name
Your Email Address
Subject
Message