Monday, December 21, 2009

First MA US Senate Debate Abridged Transcript: Coakley, Brown and Kennedy - Analysis

Tonight at 8PM, the candidates were in the studios of WBZ 1380 AM Boston for a conversation with host, Dan Rhea – Mr. Rhea began by noting that there would be no phone calls taken, and that it was scripted, “fair and balanced.” The following is an abridged version, as stated.

The first question: “What makes you think you can be an effective Senator from Massachusetts?”

Brown – thank you for having us into this discussion – the differences between me and Martha, (host: and Joe Kennedy) because I have consistently fought for fiscal restraint on Boston hill – Brown lists his issues (Host: what would make you effective?) I’m somebody that can be there fighting for the ordinary citizens of MA, the ones that are worried about paying the bills – Being a legislature, my 30 years of military experience, and owing my own business, give me the experience.

Martha, because I have a record of being an effective leader, bringing both democrats and republics Together to get solutions done – I’ve had to deal with the economy and address health care reform, and address climate change in my positions as attorney general – bringing money back to Mass from Merrill Lynch – I have a record that says I’m going to get solutions, that are going to fix the problems

Joe Kennedy – public life – more effective, as a virtual unknown – I've spent 17 years in the private sector and helped more than 4 dozen corporations get off the ground – I understand what difficulties small business faces
Public sector experience, I don’t think it’s about that- jobs are created in the private sector and that’s what fuels the economy – Host: but you would have no party to affiliate with, if you are asking caucus, I would probably lean republican.

Topic Health care

Host – The Senate Version does not include a public option, not as restrictive on abortion – Martha, I’m not accusing you of flip-flopping but, are you tailoring you message – running to the left in the primary and getting out to the right?

Health care – get people insured, and to keep costs down – I’m disappointed in the Senate bill, but it does a lot of good stuff, though provides coverage for children

Host: it’s weaker – from your perspective?

Less effective – the goal of reform should be getting people covered and bringing costs down, it’s an effective first step – if that’s the case then I would support this bill.
This is a bill I would support and vote for, not just to move it among.

Kennedy
The Senate version – Not in any way shape or form for the health care bill as it exists; I would spend my time, trying to repeal this bill.
(Kennedy –this new health care bill is similar to what Romney Care does, but it does not address the cost – and this bill just expands coverage

Brown: I don’t’ think the bill will be cast before then, wither it’s Martha or me, I would vote no – during the primary Martha took a principled position, but she has already abandoned her principle, but I would not vote it, it will cut half a trillion dollars from Medicare, effecting jobs in Massachusetts, I don’t know why people would vote for it in Washington ,and if I go down there, the first thing I’ll look for is this bill good for Massachusetts and it’s not.

Martha, we took that approach with private health care and get people insured and then we would address costs, we have about 90 to 98% covered and now we’ll address that, we really don’t know what health care costs, and the national piece that allows the competition to bring costs down, including that we agreed going forward that there would be a Hyde amendment,federal dollars would not be used to fund abortion – not I’m talking about the senate bill – if the Stupak amendment gets in the bill she would vote against it.

Martha (brown interruption) it’s funding, mandates and how to get the bill out? – We have a good bill, why would we throw it out – this bill is just not good for the people who live here– in a 2nd year recession.

Moderator to Kennedy:
How many of your signatures were secured by professional help?

About 68% -

Moderator: I don’t think that any non-party candidate – both of your opponents have long records of public service and are highly qualified, are you qualified to run for the senate or for the school committee –

Kennedy: the document I’m holding – the constitution, was not meant that the public sectors are career politicians – with all respect to Scott (who took a term limit pledge)

Host: I would not categorize either one as career politicians
Although Joe Kennedy is a member of the libertarian party – he is designated as an independent - a member of the Liberty party

What’ more important the environment or the economy?

Brown – both – the cap and trade scheme is not good for businesses – we need to take an approach , with wind, solar, - well, we need to get off our dependence of foreign oil – it’s also tied into our economy – if you look at health care the economy and the expiring tax cuts, there’s so many things that are going to affect the people, how are they going to pay the bills – how is Martha going to tell the people they have to pay for that?

Coakley: As attorney general I wear a lot of different acts, I worked over the last three years, as we look at large utilities that want increases, we have been very proactive to make sure we provide clean and effective energy –we are concerned about the environment – Scott acts as if there is not a climate change issue, so, if you think there is a climate change issue, you have to work on I t- we’re going to work in new England…

Moderator: Your convinced – more global warming or climate change,

Martha – they are interchangeable

Moderator: Financial Times in Canada had a piece saying you have to get the population under control, 9 billion 10 billion - in order to control global warming

Martha – that may be but, we have to do something - like the Boxer bill, that companies reduce their energy down – by 20% -

Brown – I said the climate is always changing – is it man made or is it factors that happen naturally I want to make sure that we get scientific data so that we understand it perfectly – I worked for Reggie and we were sold a bill of goods, and I made a mistake and I admit it – I would not do that in Washington, under this home workers would pay an extra $1700 dollars a year for energy –

Why is the president doing this – then?

Kennedy: you have to address issues that are important the problem is that we have to control the dollar if we don’t and the dollar collapses, we can’t do anything about global warming – if we take away our dependence on foreign oil we’re in the black.

Host: Afghanistan – surge huge issue, republicans criticized Obama for taking so long – he wants to send 30,000 troops, Martha you disagree what do you know what Obama doesn’t know.

Coakley: I might be open to changing my mind, taking into consideration what I don’t know – I just don’t believe that 30000 troops in this period of time, a mission that is directed in keeping us safe, costs 30 billion dollars a year, how much is the commitment -? What I think and why.... but I believe that this is an issue that is expensive, and we have been sending our troops over, 3 or 5 times a year, I think we should be focused on Al Qaeda and Pakistan.

Brown, 30 years in the military – I agree with the President and I didn’t criticize when he took his time, my fear is that the Al Qaeda will use Pakistan - Martha was right it costs, but there was a trillion dollars in a day on that stimulus, so what about those costs?

Moderator: Bringing our people home – how do you define finishing the job?

Brown: Finishing the job is to insure that the al-Qaida and Taliban do not restore bases, first thing – and they are using civilians as shields, you mentioned Bin Laden, and she mentioned she’d like to support the trials in New York, instead of spending the money on our soldiers.

(Martha, its attorney general holders position, but it’s a good decision)

Brown to Coakley are we going to Mirandize Bin Laden and give him a big show for al Qaeda?

Coakley: Scott's going to be in Afghanistan for ever –

Brown: Dan with all due respect I think it’s not accurate it’s disingenuous as her president in her own party made this position.

Joe Kennedy – I’m a non-interventionist, I don’t think we should be in Iran or Iraq, but we need to put a thoughtful plan in place bring troops home, it’s a war that’s expensive, that we should not be in and we can’t afford, and I trust the Pakistan government.

Barack Obama gave himself a B Plus - Scott what grade would you give him

Brown: I think he has been faced with some interesting challenges, I think he’s done a wonderful job with N. Korea, a c plus, because I’m afraid of the stimulus and tax bills – there’s a trillion on the table

Martha: all the problems that Obama is facing are coming from the Bush administration – we had to sue the environmental agency would not address health care reform, and an economic mess– he gets an "A" for effort – that’s because Republicans have said we would not allow the president to do anything

Kennedy: I give him a d plus – the Bush administration did a bad thing to our economy of course the war mongering

Supreme Court nominees: President Obama praised chief justice Roberts and then voted against him because of roe vs. wade Do you have a litmus test?

Martha: I would vote for qualifications – look at the records I would be hard pressed to – abortion – if someone did not support roe vs. wade, I would not vote for them

Joe Kennedy – roe versus wade cannot be overturned, I would not nominate someone who would overturn it

Brown, as a Boston College graduate, I would look at qualifications I want to be sure someone is not going to be legislating from the bench – we all support roe vs. wade, I’m against partial birth abortion and she’s not, and she’s in favor of lowering parental consent –
Martha, Emily’s list supporters have endorsed you – does that mean she supports late term abortion?

Coakley: yes, I do – There are circumstances in which it’s legal – I don’t support it for convenience.

Kennedy: Federal funding for abortions, I am against federal funding for abortions, but I’m adopted and when you are adopted, the abortion is.. - I support roe vs. wade, because it is the federal government - federal funding I don’t – it should not happen. Pro-choice should mean pro-choice, if they go into Planned Parenthood, they go straight for an abortion, but they do not get another choice, in today’s educational system, they are taught to go to Planned Parenthood first.

Moderator: Joe – quick question, in your opinion, Joe, if you became a United States senator what is the top marginal rate be for income tax.

I am against income tax – the goal would be zero – to eliminate the income tax, the 16th amendment – was incorrectly ratified – but the point is you can’t put it back, but if you can get it down to 20 to25 % I’d be happier.

Scott Brown, the rates are high now, and the bush tax cuts are going to expire, that’s going to be an increase, I would do a 5 to 7 percent reduction in the current rates, from 35 to 30% - an across the board, every man woman and child, the marriage penalty will come back, we will have no more child tax credits

Coakley: I support a tax policy that will allow for the middle class so that they can keep more money in their public, the bush tax cut was beneficial to the top 2% - I have said, that part of the bush tax cuts expire for the top two percent, the conversation was around the piece, there were other benefits that the president supports – that he may extend – if Scott says Martha this or Martha that I want to have a chance to answer my own questions – the reason we have to address this mess, is because of Bush failed policy – top tax rate should be 35 to 40%

As noted this is an abridged version of the debate: Overall, the addition of Kennedy in the debate gave Brown an opportunity over Coakley. Many of the anti-war and Bush Syndrome language from Brown will sit well with those Democrats looking for an alternative. Brown had a slight edge over Coakley, she appeared somewhat flustered when Brown brought up statements she had made during the Democrat debates – and accused him of attacking her, overall she was the left of Kennedy candidate, and Brown came off as a moderate Republican.

No comments:


Amazon Picks

Massachusetts Conservative Feminist - Degrees of Moderation and Sanity Headline Animator

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Contact Me:

Your Name
Your Email Address
Subject
Message